The Kingdoms of Celair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron Mountain

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Iron Mountain Empty Iron Mountain

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:07 am

The two slithered back from the top of the crest and regrouped in a safer location.

"We can travel to Iron Mountain, about a day's walk from here. It's a remote mining outpost, but the only... remotely civilized town, out here." He said looking at Serethiel's ears.

The elf gave him a look of disdain. "I said I could conceal them!" She snapped at him. To which he nodded in understanding. He wanted to tell her that he found her ears attractive. Like a rare flower that is only seen up close a few times in a human's life. If at all. But she wouldn't understand. Instead, he attempted to explain.

"It's not me... but the people of the town are mostly drunkards, thieves and cutthroats. Many have lost loved ones during the elf wars." He whispered, remembering that his voice might carry across the grassy hills. "Iron Mountain is a place where many go to escape crimes committed elsewhere. Some are simply looking for a fresh start. Not all are bad people. I have a few friends there."

Without discussing it further, the two began making their way with haste. They ran across the darkened hilly landscape with ease, cutting through the kneehigh grass keeping pace. Every so often, Breyan would stop to catch his breath and take water from his skin. He'd offer it to his friend, but she'd simply wave him off. A topic to discuss later he resided.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Iron Mountain Empty Re: Iron Mountain

Post by Serethiel Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 pm

An elf's ears were only slightly bigger than a human's, being that they were pointed at the top. Like a human, each elf's ears were slightly different. Serethiel's ears were almost elegantly curved up to a gentle point. An elf's ears were sensitive, both to the touch and in regards to hearing. An elf could hear three times better than the best human hearing.

For the moment her hair was pulled back into a long braid down her back, revealing her ears entirely. She preferred to travel with her hair back. It kept it out of her face when she needed to use her bow. When she saw Breyan looking at them again she touched them slightly and snapped at him. She hated the idea of hiding who she was, but she knew she would have no choice. She needed to do what was necessary in order to rescue Phoebe.

Once they were ready, the pair began to make their way towards Iron Mountain as quickly as possible. They kept a steady pace so as not to become tired. Every so often she would ease up so Breyan could catch his breath. They were walking currently at a quick pace and Serethiel once again declined any water. She was quiet a moment before looking over at him.

"So, you are not married?"

Serethiel
Admin

https://kingdoms-of-celair.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

The two travelers were alone in the dark upon the vast grassy hills, just north of the Forest. The night sky was dark, yet clear with stars. The moon hit from sight, but provided enough illumination for Breyan to see quite well.

They moved at a hastened pace across the landscape, making for the remote human settlement of Iron Mountain.

At one point, when they broke for a minutes rest. Breyan placed his hands on his hips and slowly walked, catching his breath as Serethiel watched.

"So... " She asked. "Are you married?"

Breyan clearly heard the elf's question, but did not make eye contact. He had thought of asking her the same thing, but didn't want to imply any interest on his part.

He turned and looked at her, with a curious smile. "You like me don't you?" He asked instead. "I could tell." He said with a playful arrogance. "I have a way with elves." He joked, obviously not interacting socially with any before her.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:51 pm

"You like me don't you?"

Serethiel was caught off guard and her eyes grew wide at the accusation. How dare he imply that she had feelings for him! Elves were very selective about their mates. Courtship could last decades and many didn't marry for love. They selected their mates based on qualities that they felt could generate excellent offspring. For most elves they kept their feelings in check, including any feelings of love or affection. Serethiel however was different in that regard. She often let her emotions get the better of her, though she did her best to hide them.

"I have a way with elves."

"Clearly," Serethiel replied with more than a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "Right now, I am tolerating you."

If Breyan looked close enough he might see just the slightest hint of a smile tugging at the corner of her lips as she glanced his way. It was very slight though and disappeared when she found him looking at her.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:16 pm

"We need to get going." He said, hoping to change the subject. If she asked again, he'd have to tell her the truth.

The two continued for several hours before eventually seeing the first dim lights of the small town. It's dark slate rooftops absorbed the lantern lights that hung about the town.

He glanced at the elf maiden and noticed she had already begun changing her hair to conceal the tips of her ears. He looked away, but quickly found himself returning his gaze. The warrior was stunningly beautiful in the faint moonlight. Her movements fluid as she pulled the braid from her hair and reassembled it around her head. Pulling her hair up, she looked more fare than the noblest woman he'd seen in any palace court.

She looked at him and saw him stare. Lifting an eyebrow she questioned his paralysis.

Breyan quickly realized he had been spotted. Clearing his throat he turn back towards the town.

"Iron Mountain is filled with mostly undesirables. It's best you say little, and dont make eye contact. We can find lodgings for the night and then a hot meal. There'll be plenty of mercenary types, but we need to be coey as we dont wide up with our throats slit during the night."

The two moved onto the dirt path towards the main gates.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Serethiel knew that Breyan was starting to develop feelings for her. She could see it in his eyes and the way he would look at her when he thought she wouldn't notice. She wondered, however, if his feelings might just be because he had never been around a female elf before (that he wasn't fighting) and was confusing fascination with something deeper. She could not deny that she was flattered at the soft way his eyes looked at her. She had taken several lovers in Alysian, but she had not allowed herself to become too attached emotionally to any of them. Her duties were dangerous and she knew that any day she could have been killed. It was easier that way. But now her life was turned upside down. She had been exiled from her home and people because she felt that the way between humans and elves needed to end and she now found herself working together with a human man to rescue a human woman. Breyan had a rugged handsomeness to him that male elves did not possess. Male elves were tall, lithe, and nearly as elegant as the females. They possessed very little body hair, and certainly not the stubble that Breyan had around his chin and jawline. Male elves were also not noticeably muscular, like Breyan and Serethiel often found herself looking at Breyan's arms as they continued on towards Iron Mountain.

As they drew closer Serethiel began to pull her hair from it's braid. It cascaded down her back and shoulders in soft waves of brown. She pulled just part of her hair back, being sure to pull the hair across her ears, and left the rest of her hair down. As she was doing this she felt Breyan's eyes upon her. She looked over at him and found him staring at her like she had not seen him do before. The way he looked at her made her heartbeat increase ever so slightly. No one had ever looked at her like that before.

As they started down the path towards the main gates she listened as he explained to her what she should and should not do. She nodded slightly and glanced at him.

"I will try to not speak at all. However, if I feel we are in danger I will act."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:44 pm

The two entered through the town's front gate. The stone wall was not guarded, and assuming there was no threat within 100 miles of the town.

The streets were cobblestone, and intermatched with a dark obsidian stone, probably commonly mined here. The buildings were wooden with dark slate-like shingles. There were a few townfolk milling about the street, mostly congregating in the lower market. A crowd of rebel-rousers could be heard several blocks into the town, and Breyan moved towards the noise.

"The Bottle and Blade" He whispered towards her. "It's the only place in town Im afraid."

They made their way down a few more streets before rounding a bend. At the end of a small open courtyard surrounding a crude stone fountain filled with stagnant water, a two story building sat dominating most of the area.

A half dozen people laughed and drank with a few loose women out front, as Breyan and Serethiel moved past and onto the porch towards the front doors.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Serethiel had not known what to expect when they entered into the town. She had never been in a human town before. Her only interactions with humans, before Breyan, had been in battles that had been fought on the land surrounding Alysian and just within the Alysian borders. Although Alysian was a very large forest, there were no "towns" and certainly nothing like this. The smell hit Serethiel's nose first and made her stomach turn slightly. It smelled like dirt, sweat, and alcohol. People talked and laughed loudly and she could feel eyes upon her as she walked slightly behind Breyan. She had smudged a little dirt on her face to try and conceal the natural glow to her skin, but people's eyes were still drawn to her. She cast her eyes slightly downward, but remained on guard at all times.

"Where shall we find lodging?" she asked Breyan quietly.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:17 pm

"Where shall we find lodging?" she asked him.

Breyan glanced back at her. "Im afraid this is it."

"Hey baby!" A voice called out from behind them both. One of the drunkards was making eyes towards her.

"Sorry mate, this one's taken." Breyan called back towards him, placing his arm around the elf and forcing her inside the tavern door.

Inside, the main room was lively. There was dozens of people of all shapes and sizes. A man in his mid 40's served drinks behind the bar, while two ladies served food and spirits about the room. One woman, in her thirties appeared to relish in the attention she received from the male patrons. She laughed and flirted while enjoying their cheers.

"That's Fancy." Breyan told Serethiel. "The local draw." He motioned to the other. "I dont know her... she's new."

The second woman was much more reserved and appeared very uncomfortable. She was shy, timid, and out of place.

"The barkeep is Jack Crimmey. Owns the place and keeps a pretty tight ship."

In the corner, a group of men threw darts, and drank ale. Another table held a handful of men playing cards while a few women watched over their shoulders. On a small stage, two young musicians played while a young woman sang.

"There's a table towards the back." Fancy called out to them. "Beef stew is the special." She added while passing by.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Serethiel was unimpressed with the outside of the building and did not have high hopes that the inside would be any better. She started to walk towards the door with Breyan when she heard a male voice call out to her from behind. The odor coming from the man was almost as offensive as what he had said. Elves tolerated alcohol far better than humans. It would take an enormous amount for any elf to begin to feel its effects. Serethiel simply wasn't used to seeing anyone drunk. Nothing about it seemed pleasing to her and she wondered why humans would drink to that excess.

She was about to say something in response to what the man had said when she suddenly felt Breyan's arm go around her shoulders protectively. She knew they were both playing a part, but it still felt nice to feel his strong, muscular arm around her. Without a word she stepped inside the main room of the inn. The main room was filled with men and women drinking, laughing, singing, and talking very loudly. It was almost overwhelming for Serethiel's sensitive ears and she nearly put her hands over them. There was so much movement and things that were happening that it was difficult for her to figure out where to look and keep her guard up. She stuck close to Breyan and tried to pay attention as he explained who a few of the people were. She was relieved when they found a table and took a seat. It was towards the back and Serethiel sat on the side that was darker so as to conceal herself a little more.

"I don't understand," she said to Breyan after they were seated. "Why do humans want to drink to the point where they cannot stand? Why would someone do that to themselves?"

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm

He heard the elf's question regarding human's taste for alcohol, but he was already motioning for Fancy to bring a round of beers.

Breyan seemed entertained with watching the crowd of people. He had almost forgotten his table mate. Being back within the hospitality of a town was sorely missed. He had been in the forest for over a week with Phoebe.

Fancy brought two glass mugs of beer in one hand and set them down onto the table, spilling one a bit. "Breyan!" She beamed. "What brings you back this way?" She asked leaning down to kiss his forehead. Her large bosom nearly spilling out of the low cut dress she wore.

Serenthiel knew exactly what the woman was doing, and it discussed her.

"Surveying the king's forest to squash a minor legal dispute back home. Nobles... always making claims to lands they dont own." He laughed.

Serenthiel could tell he was lying. But he seemed to enjoy the attention.

"And whom might you be lass?" Fancy asked, looking towards his friend.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Serethiel noticed that Breyan avoided answering her question. She also noticed that he was motioning for drinks. She sighed quietly to herself, but remained silent on the subject. Breyan almost seemed to have forgotten she was there and she sank back further into the darkness of the corner.

Just then, she spotted the woman he had called "Fancy" bringing over two mugs. As the mugs were set down one sloshed out some amber liquid onto the table and a little onto her. Serethiel wiped her hands and glanced at the liquid. It was clearly not wine, which was the only alcohol she had ever consumed. She glanced at Breyan as he lied to Fancy, who was leaning over towards Breyan, clearly showing off her breasts. Serethiel rolled her eyes at the brazen display, but felt something strange in her heart as she watched Breyan smile at her. Could it be...? No...no...it couldn't be jealously, could it? Why would she be jealous? She surprised herself when she crossed her arms over her chest to regard Fancy.

"Serethiel," was all she said as her eyes narrowed slightly at the woman.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Fany furrowed her brow at her reply. "Now isn't that an unusual name. What part of the kingdom do you hail from?"

Breyan looked quickly at Serethiel and swallowed hard. "She's new to Falcon's Hallow. Joined me on this expedition as my apprentice. Learning the trade she is." He answered with a forced smile.

"We'll need a room for the night too." He said changing the subject.

Serethiel held up two fingers without saying a word. Which caused Fancy to laugh.

"I'll see what we have available." She said before moving to the next table.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Serethiel was not pleased by being called Breyan's apprentice. She was over 800 years old and could teach him a thing or two! However, she remained silent, wishing the woman would walk away. However before she could Breyan asked for a room. Serethiel quickly held up two fingers. She didn't need Breyan making any assumptions.

After Fancy was gone, Serethiel leaned back in her chair and looked at Breyan.

"I'm your apprentice?"

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 am

ooc: Feel free to add anything to the story you wish. New characters, events, surprise me.

"Im your apprentice?" She asked quite aggravated at the demotion.

"Im sorry. It's the first thing I could think of that would make sense. Fancy knows me." He said not taking his eyes off the room. Then with a shift in his tone, he turned to her with frustration in his eyes. "You were suppose to stay quiet. Let me do the talking." He leaned in towards her clenching his teeth. "You gave her your real name... an elven name? Do you know what they'd do to you... to us... if they discover your an elf. Many in this room lost loved ones during the war. And I'd be branded a traitor."

He slid back in his seat and took a deep breath. His eyes roamed.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:45 am

Serethiel turned and looked at Breyan with a new look in her eye...a look of hurt. "You think humans are the only ones affected by this war?" she whispered fiercely back to him, the hurt feeling seeping into her voice. "You think humans are the only ones who have lost loved ones? Contrary to what you may believe elves do have hearts. And YOU never told me a name I could use. How am I supposed to know what a proper human name would be? And you didn't look like you were going to help me. You were too busy...eyeing her."

Serethiel then sat back in her chair and looked away from Breyan. She felt utterly alone in this place. She had lost her home and family and belonged nowhere. She was completely overwhelmed by this place and she did not touch the mug of beer in front of her.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Breyan changed his tone when he saw the hurt in her eyes. It was unexpected and not seeming in her nature. The hardened warrior that cut down the orc patrol was now seen as a mortal with feelings.

He wanted to apologize and the words almost left his lips when Fancy came back. Breyan would be sure to tell her later how badly he felt. But now was not the time. He took a hard drink from the beer and wiped his mouth. Noticing she had not touched hers, he slid it an inch towards her. "Have a drink. It'll help you swallow my callousness." He said attempting a quasi apology.

Then he saw something across the tavern. Two figures that sat alone. One massive in size and the other quite small and slender.

"There's our lucky break." He muttered to himself not taking his eyes off the pair. "The mountain of man is Varken Hooft. Fought bravely during the elf wars. Killed dozens... " Breyan stopped himself before finishing his thought. "His friend is unknown to me, but we could definitely use him if we assault the orc lair. He has no love loss for his own kind."

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Serethiel glanced slightly at Breyan when he slid the mug of ale closer to her. She heard what he said, but said nothing in response. She was angry that she had allowed her feelings to surface like that, and more so that she had allowed him to make her so upset. She wanted to push those feelings aside, but she couldn't. Breyan may not want to be labeled a traitor, but she already was and it was because she had defended humankind and expressed her want for the wars between them to end. If she ever set foot back in Alysian she would be killed on sight. She had taken a huge risk in coming here and given up the only home she had ever known. If Breyan did not want to take the same risk she had then perhaps he shouldn't be traveling with her.

Thankfully, Breyan spotted something that broke the awkward silence between them. She followed his gaze over to the two men he had taken notice of. One of the men was huge and she could certainly see him being a help to them. Serethiel attempted to ignore Breyan's comment about how many of her kind Varken had killed. She would clearly need to be very careful around him.

"His own kind? You mean he's an orc?"

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:55 pm

"Lucky for us only half orc. But a monster in a fight... and for the right price, he'll join us for sure. The problem is, we dont have much money left."

"Im going to go talk with them. If I motion you over, things went well." Breyan said. "Sit tight and dont say anything."

With that, he moved across the room between the crowd of tables. Some patrons were wrapping up their festivities and began to make their way to the door. It was several hours past 1:00 AM.

The large man saw Breyan approach. He stood with his arms wide open. At full height he was easily 6'8" tall, and almost as wide. And by the Gods he was ugly.

The slender man remained hidden under his dark cloak and did little to welcome Breyan.

As they spoke, Fancy returned with two bowls of hot stew. The beef smelled rancid and the vegetables were definitely overcooked. The woman looked down at Serethiel, lifting one eyebrow. "You dont look like an apprentice." She questioned, lifting an eyebrow. It was obvious she didn't buy Breyan's story. "Look love... if he didn't tell you already... he's married. So if you've got ideas of sleeping with him tonight... best think again. Lord knows Ive tried."

With that, Fancy turned to walk away, only to turn back towards Serethiel. "That'll be two bits for the food."

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Serethiel wasn't sure about this, but she didn't have a choice. She had to follow Breyan's lead and he seemed to trust the half orc so she would need to too. She watched as he walked over to the table, but did as he instructed and sat quietly. She decided to finally try a sip of the ale and she made a slight face when she tasted how bitter it was. However, she forced herself to take a few more sips to be polite.

A few minutes later Fancy returned to the table with two bowls of stew. The smell was nothing short of unappetizing and Serethiel decided she wasn't going to eat hers. She looked away slightly when she realized Fancy was looking at her, but what she said next caused her to look directly at her with a slightly surprised look. He was married? That explained why he had avoided answering the question when she asked it. But now she knew the truth...not that it mattered. She didn't have feelings for him...or at least that's what she continued to tell herself.

She wanted the girl to walk away, but she suddenly turned back and asked for payment for the food. Serethiel had to bite her tongue from telling her that she refused to pay for something that was inedible. Breyan had left some money with her and she paid Fancy and watched her walk away. With mixed feelings she turned to look back at Breyan...

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:40 pm

The ranger seemed to be taking his time with the two strangers. Serethiel sat quietly alone, and watched the room. The longer she waited alone, the more uncomfortable she felt.

Looking towards Breyan, she noticed both the half orc and sickly man shake their heads. It seemed that neither wanted anything to do with the rescue. Poor Phoebe might be lost forever.
But Breyan rubbed his chin and thought, while the half-orc looked towards her. He large man was muttering something to Breyan as he starred at the elf. His look seemed a bit too lustful for her tastes.

Then Breyan helplessly glanced her way. She looked down, pretending not to notice, but when she looked back, they were shaking hands. All three of them.

Breyan eventually returned to her table, and took a long drink from his beer. He wiped his mouth, not making eye contact with her. He was hiding something.

"Okay... they're with us." He said before stuffing a large spoonful of stew into his mouth. He glanced at her bowl. "You didn't touch yours." He said spitting a bit of stew.

She winced at his lack of table manners.

When he noticed his poor etiquette, he sat up a bit and wiped his mouth with his sleeve, trying to clean up his act.

He could tell she had questions about both men.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Serethiel was nervous. She was in a room filled with humans that if they found out what she truly was they would kill her without a second thought. She was outnumbered here and she kept fearing that one of them would figure her out.

She kept glancing at Breyan. He was taking too long and she wished she could hear what they were saying. However, with as much noise as there was in this room even her keen elven ears couldn't hear what the three men were saying. And so she had to impatiently wait. Leaving her stew untouched before her, she tapped her finger on the table as she glanced at the table again. She saw the larger man shake his head and she sighed, thinking she and Breyan were going to be on their own. However, a moment later she saw the half orc looking her way and eyeing her in such a way that made her very uncomfortable. She looked away, and when she looked back she saw the three men shaking hands. What had they agreed to? Her blood ran cold as she watched Breyan walk back towards the table. He wouldn't look at her directly and she knew then that something was wrong.

"What did you agree to?" she whispered sharply to him.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Breyan looked down at his stew and stuffed another spoonful into his mouth. He shrugged at her question and chewed his food, later finding a way to answer without spitting.

"They are mercenaries. They want what all hired swords want... money." He told her.

Serentiel could tell there was more to the story, but he wasn't budging.

Finally, he looked up at her. Maybe his avoidance of the truth was eating at his conscious.

"Are you going to finish that?" He asked pointing his spoon towards her bowl.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Serethiel didn't exactly believe Breyan. He wasn't telling her something and she didn't like it.

"Are you going to finish that?"

Serethiel shoved the bowl of stew towards him, spilling some on the table in the process. She was not happy...that much would be very clear to him. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked away from him.

"There is only one room available tonight."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Her last statement got his attention. He stopped chewing and starred at her for a moment. Then changed the subject back to their two new associates.

"Look... I dont like making deals with hired swords and cut throats, and Varken's friend makes me a little nervous. Actually, he scares me a little. But we need them. And Ive seen the orc fight with a furocity of ten men. We cant do it without them. And I told them Id pay them when Phoebe is rescued."

She listened to him, but still found his words chosen well.

He then finished her bowl and wiped his mouth again. "I'll sleep on the floor." He whispered, referring to their shared space. "But like you said a few days ago... I need a bath and plan on that happening tonight, so that I make no qualms about. You can close your eyes if need be."

He placed two silver coins on the table, not knowing that she had paid for the meal, and slid his chair back. "We should get some sleep. We meet them here early tomorrow morning."

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum